Although shoplifting is a nonviolent crime, it is still a crime that can result in serious consequences. In addition to the stigma of being labeled a thief, you could also face fines and even jail time for your actions. At Calvo & Calvo, Attorneys At Law, our Fort Myers shoplifting lawyers are here to guide you through the legal process and help you reach the best possible result for your case.
Call Calvo & Calvo, Attorneys At Law today at (800) 614-5138 or contact us online to schedule a consultation with our shoplifting lawyer in Fort Myers.
What is Shoplifting?
Shoplifting involves stealing merchandise or items from a retail establishment without paying for them. This can take various forms, such as concealing items, altering price tags, or switching labels to pay a lower price. Shoplifting can also include simply walking out of a store with unpaid merchandise or using deceptive means to avoid proper payment. Shoplifting can occur in a variety of retail settings, including department stores, supermarkets, boutiques, and convenience stores.
What Are the Penalties for Shoplifting in Florida?
The penalties for shoplifting in Florida can vary depending on the value of the stolen items and other factors. It's important to note that shoplifting is not a minor offense, and the consequences can be severe. Here are some of the potential penalties for shoplifting in Florida:
- Criminal Charges: Shoplifting is a crime in Florida, and if you are caught, you could be charged with a misdemeanor or felony, depending on the circumstances. Misdemeanor charges are generally reserved for lower-value thefts, while felony charges are more likely for higher-value thefts or repeat offenders.
- Fines: If convicted of shoplifting, you may be required to pay fines, which can be substantial, especially for felony shoplifting offenses.
- Probation: In some cases, a judge may impose probation as part of your sentence, which can include community service, regular check-ins with a probation officer, and other conditions.
- Jail Time: Shoplifting convictions, especially for felony offenses, can result in incarceration, which can range from a few months to several years.
- Criminal Record: A shoplifting conviction can have long-lasting consequences. It will result in a criminal record affecting your employment, housing, and personal relationships.
- Restitution: You may be required to pay restitution to the victim or the retail establishment for the value of the stolen items.
Defenses Against Shoplifting Charges
Some common defenses against shoplifting charges may include:
- Mistaken Identity: Sometimes, shoplifting allegations arise due to mistaken identity. We can help establish that you were not the person involved in the alleged theft.
- Lack of Intent: Shoplifting requires an intentional act. If we can show that you did not intend to steal or that you accidentally left the store with the merchandise, it may be possible to have the charges reduced or dropped.
- Improper Search and Seizure: If your rights were violated during the search or arrest process, we can challenge the evidence against you and seek to have it excluded.
- Evidence Issues: We can carefully review the evidence in your case to identify any weaknesses or inconsistencies in the prosecution's case.
- Negotiating a Plea Bargain: In some cases, we may be able to negotiate with the prosecution to reduce the charges or penalties, allowing for a more favorable outcome.
Contact Our Shoplifting Lawyer in Fort Myers Today
At Calvo & Calvo, Attorneys At Law, Our Fort Myers shoplifting attorneys understand that facing criminal charges can be a daunting experience, and that's why we are here to provide you with the support and representation you need. We will review the details of your case, help explain your legal options, and work tirelessly to defend your rights and interests. You don't have to navigate the complexities of the legal system alone – we are here to help you every step of the way. Contact us today to get the legal assistance you deserve.
Contact Calvo & Calvo, Attorneys At Law, today to get started with our Fort Myers shoplifting attorney.
5-Star Reviews From Our Clients
"Jose made me feel confident from our first conversation and throughout the legal process that everything would be OK. He is a calming presence and walks the walk of what you will discuss and work on with him. Very highly recommended."Anonymous
"Mr. Calvo was very knowledgeable and professional. He directed me through a very complicated situation with ease and confidence. I would definitely recommend him to any of my friends."Ron K.
"Mr. Calvo was a huge help with a situation I got into while I was on vacation a couple years ago. He fought tooth and nail for me and made sure everything was ok, all while we were thousands of miles apart. I can't thank him enough!"Kerri