Credit card fraud is considered a serious offense in Florida, and it is important to retain legal counsel as soon as possible if you are facing these charges. At Calvo & Calvo, Attorneys At Law, our Fort Myers credit card fraud attorney is here to provide you with skilled legal counsel and a strong defense to protect your rights.
Call Calvo & Calvo, Attorneys At Law today at (800) 614-5138 or contact us online to schedule a consultation with our credit card fraud lawyer in Fort Myers.
What is Credit Card Fraud?
Credit card fraud is a white-collar crime involving the unauthorized use of someone else's credit card or credit card information for financial gain. This crime can take various forms, including:
- Credit Card Theft: Stealing someone's physical credit card and using it for unauthorized transactions.
- Credit Card Cloning: Creating a counterfeit credit card with stolen information and using it for fraudulent transactions.
- Card-Not-Present Fraud: Making online or phone transactions using stolen credit card information.
- Account Takeover: Gaining unauthorized access to someone's credit card account and making fraudulent charges.
- Application Fraud: Applying for a credit card using someone else's information without consent.
What are the Penalties for Credit Card Fraud in Florida?
The penalties for credit card fraud in Florida may vary depending on the circumstances of the case and the amount of financial loss incurred. However, in general, credit card fraud penalties may include:
- Criminal Charges: Credit card fraud can result in criminal charges, which may be classified as a misdemeanor or a felony, depending on the severity of the offense.
- Fines: Conviction for credit card fraud may lead to substantial fines, ranging from hundreds to thousands of dollars, depending on the financial loss caused by the fraud.
- Probation: Offenders may be placed on probation, requiring them to adhere to certain conditions, such as regular check-ins with a probation officer.
- Restitution: Courts may order the offender to pay restitution to the victim to cover the financial losses incurred due to the fraud.
- Imprisonment: Felony credit card fraud convictions can result in significant prison sentences, ranging from several months to many years.
- Criminal Record: A conviction for credit card fraud can result in a permanent criminal record, which can have lasting consequences on one's personal and professional life.
Defenses Against Credit Card Fraud Charges
Some common defenses against credit card fraud charges may include:
- Lack of Intent: If you did not have the intention to commit fraud and can demonstrate that the use of the credit card was a mistake or misunderstanding, this can be a valid defense.
- Insufficient Evidence: A strong defense can involve challenging the prosecution's evidence and showing insufficient proof to support the charges.
- Identity Theft: If you were the victim of identity theft, and your information was used without your consent, this can be a valid defense.
- Alibi: Providing an alibi or evidence that you were not at the location where the fraudulent transaction occurred can be a valid defense.
- Coercion or Duress: If you were forced or coerced into committing the fraud against your will, this can be a valid defense.
- Illegal Search and Seizure: If the evidence against you was obtained through an illegal search and seizure, it may be inadmissible in court.
Contact Our Credit Card Fraud Lawyer in Fort Myers Today
At Calvo & Calvo, Attorneys At Law, we are committed to delivering top-notch legal representation to individuals in need. Our Fort Myers credit card fraud attorney will work tirelessly to build a strong defense and strive for the best possible outcome for your case. We help you protect your rights and fight for your future. Your freedom and reputation are on the line, and we are ready to stand by your side during this challenging time.
Contact Calvo & Calvo, Attorneys At Law, today to get started with our Fort Myers credit card fraud attorney.
5-Star Reviews From Our Clients
"Jose made me feel confident from our first conversation and throughout the legal process that everything would be OK. He is a calming presence and walks the walk of what you will discuss and work on with him. Very highly recommended."Anonymous
"Mr. Calvo was very knowledgeable and professional. He directed me through a very complicated situation with ease and confidence. I would definitely recommend him to any of my friends."Ron K.
"Mr. Calvo was a huge help with a situation I got into while I was on vacation a couple years ago. He fought tooth and nail for me and made sure everything was ok, all while we were thousands of miles apart. I can't thank him enough!"Kerri